Today as I write this and do the photoshoot for this post, it really does feel like a kiss of Spring! Every year we wait impatiently through the cold to get to the time of year when the sun shines earlier and higher and the flowers break through and I turn my closet over from sweaters and boots to dresses and flowy tops.
This year I am so happy to add the Women’s Bell Sleeve Dress by Ellie and Mac Designs to my spring collection. I LOVE A BELL SLEEVE! I really do.
I made two versions of this sweet dress. In this first version I used The Harlow Floral Rayon Spandex Knit from So Sew English (click here to purchase the fabric). I sewed up this dress as per the pattern, a V-neck with a bell sleeve and a graceful fit across the bust and shows off the waist then flows over the hips. This dress pattern comes in sizes XXS-4X. I am wearing the XXL graded to a 2XL at the hips for a nice fall of the dress. I found the fit to be perfect for me except for the sleeves which I feel are quite long. I shortened the sleeve pattern piece by 1.5 inches. The instructions for the V-neck were well written and easy to follow to get a nice V, which is a very flattering neckline on all figures.
And for fun I really wanted to use this retro looking circle fabric in DBP, but I did not have enough for the sleeves so here I had a “make it work moment” and an opportunity for a pattern hack or modification. I used a white jersey from my stash for the sleeves and I decided to go with a double bell sleeve as I had enough of the main fabric to make a second tier. I love this fun look and it was such as easy thing to do. I show you how below!
To make the second tier I decided how high I wanted it to come up then I traced a pattern from the original:
Now you have your new sleeve to attach as per the pattern.
As part of the Ellie and Mac Blog Tour I was given the pattern to sew up and blog about and review. All of the work and opinions are mine. All Ellie and Mac patterns are 35% off through the month of February. No code needed. The price will discount in your cart.
What fabric will you use for your Bell Sleeve Dress?
Please feel free to comment below or ask any questions.
Please subscribe to my blog on the right side panel to receive an e-mail notification when a new blog post is made so you don’t miss a thing!
Please visit all the stops on the Get Ready for Spring Blog Tour featuring Ellie and Mac spring sewing patterns (35% of right now), hosted by Seams Sew Lo. Do not forget to enter the giveaway below too!
- February 3rd: Seams Sew Lo (Intro)
- February 4th: Seams Sew Lo
- February 5th: Violets and Jewels
- February 6th: Threadistry
- February 7th: Mama Can Make it
- February 8th: My Crazy Crafty Beautiful Life
- February 9th: Aurora Designs
- February 10th: Flaxfield Sewing
- February 11th: Floral and Flannel
- February 12th: FABulous Home Sewn
- February 13th: Minns Things
- February 14th: Our Play Place
- February 15th: Tenille’s Thread
- February 16th: Seams Like Style
- February 17th: Hutsepruts
- February 18th: Candi Couture Designs
- February 19th: My Sewing Roots
- February 20th: Manning the Machine
- February 21st: Stitched by Jennie
- February 22nd: Kathy’s Kwilts and More
- February 23rd: Sewjourns
- February 24th: Mermaid Mama Designs
- February 25th: Fee Bricolo
- February 26th: Oak Blue Designs
- February 27th: Big Fly Notions
- February 28th: Sewing Blue